Collection of Recyclables

Lower Paxton Township requires all residents occupying single-family and multi-family dwellings of two and three units to recycle specific materials from their solid waste.  The following materials are recyclable:

  • Glass Containers
  • Aluminum Cans
  • Steel and Bi-metallic Cans
  • Plastics (#1 through #7)
  • Cardboard (cereal and food boxes, gift boxes, etc.)
  • Newsprint (including glossy inserts) & Magazines
  • Corrugated Boxes

Glass Containers: Rinse glass containers and remove lids.  Paper labels do not need to be removed.  Do not crush glass containers.  NOTE: window glass, mirrors, ceramics, drinking glasses, dishes or light bulbs are not recyclable.

Aluminum Cans, Steel and Bi-Metallic Cans: Rinse cans and flatten to save space.  Labels can be left on cans.

Plastics:  Seven types of plastic containers are collected in Lower Paxton Township and they are identified with numbers 1 through 7 in the recycling symbol.  Rinse plastic containers, remove caps.

(Plastic grocery or drycleaner bags are not recyclable at the curb, check with the store for recycling locations.)

Cardboard:  Cardboard boxes, such as cereal boxes or shoe boxes, must be flattened and can be commingled in your recycling container.  Cardboard boxes with a wax finish cannot be recycled.

(TIP: If an ink pen writes on the box, it is recyclable.)

Newspaper & Magazines:  Newspapers, glossy inserts, magazines, and telephone books are all recyclable.

Corrugated Boxes:  Corrugated boxes (packing boxes) must be cut flat into 3-foot by 3-foot squares and must be bundled together with string. Place bundles beside the recyclables container.


  • Recyclable materials maybe commingled, with the exception of corrugated boxes.  Place bottles, cans, jars, flat cardboard, newsprint and other paper products, etc. in the recycling container.
  • Corrugated boxes (packing boxes) must be cut flat and tied into bundles no larger than 3-foot by 3-foot and placed beside the recycling container.
  • Rinse recyclable beverage and food containers to keep insects away and to aid in the recycling process.  Recyclables contaminated with food particles are considered solid waste.
  • Do NOT put any recyclables in plastic bags.

Electronics Recycling: The Dauphin County Recycling Center accepts many types of electronic equipment, and other items which are recyclable but may not be collected at the curb.  This is free for all residents of Dauphin County.

Examples: televisions, microwaves, cellular phones, computers and related equipment, rechargeable batteries, and many other items.

For $5, the DCRC will perform confidential paper shredding.

Questions should be directed to DCRC, at 982-6772.

The County has additional information on its website:  Follow the link for waste management and recycling.

Frequently Called Numbers

Main Switchboard
Police Administration
Public Works Department
Sewer Department
Parks and Recreation
Supervisor's Voice-Mail

Office Hours

Municipal Center (Administration, Community Development, & Sewer)
8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Police Department Records Office
8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

Public Works Department
6:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.

Sanitary Sewer Operations
6:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.

Friendship Center and the Parks and Recreation Department
Monday to Thursday -  5:30 a.m. to 10 p.m.
Friday - 5:30 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.
Saturday - 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
Sunday - 12:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.

Social Media